Show Me - Tell Me
You will be asked two questions, one show me and one tell me on vehicle safety. Failure to answer one or both correctly will result in a minor fault being recorded on your test sheet. As your instructor I will also take you through these question relating to our car in our lesson prior to test.
1. Show me how you would check that the direction indicators are working.
Apply the indicators switch and check correct functioning of all indicators by walking around car. (may need to switch ignition on)
2. Tell me how you would check that the brakes are working before starting a journey.
Press foot brake. Brakes should not feel spongy or slack. Brakes should be tested as you set off. Vehicle should not pull to one side.
3. Identify where the windscreen washer reservoir is and tell me how you would check the windscreen washer level. Identify reservoir (right hand side of engine on the MINI, look for spraying logo on cap) and explain how to check level (cannot check level easily, so say I fill it up each day to ensure a high level – fill up just before test so level is visible!).
4. Show me how you would check that the brake lights are working on this car. (I can assist you. If you need to switch the ignition on, please don't start the engine)
Put key in the ignition. Press the brake pedal. Make use of reflections in windows, garage doors, etc, or ask
someone to help (Ask “How many lights can you see at the back of the car? — 3 red ones!”).
5. Show me / explain how you would check that the power-assisted steering is working before starting a journey.
If the steering becomes heavy, the system may not be working properly. Before starting a journey two simple checks can be made.
a) Apply gentle pressure on the steering wheel, maintain this while the engine is started. You should feel a slight but noticeable movement on the wheel as the system begins to operate.
b)Alternatively, turning the steering wheel just after moving off will give an immediate indication that the power assistance is functioning (steering should be light and responsive).
6. Tell me where you would find the information for the recommended tyre pressures for this car and how tyre pressures should be checked.
Open the driver's door and check the pressures. Remove valve caps, and use a reliable pressure gauge to check pressures when tyres are cold. Adjust (pump up) if necessary. Don't forget the spare tyre (in the boot), and remember to refit valve caps.
7. Show me how you would check the parking brake (handbrake) for excessive wear
Make sure you keep safe control of the vehicle. Apply footbrake firmly. Demonstrate by applying parking brake (handbrake) so that when it is fully applied it secures the car, and is not at the end of the working travel. (Ease off footbrake whilst handbrake is on. The car should hold still on a slight gradient).
8. Open the bonnet. Identify where you would check the engine oil level and tell me how you would check that the engine has sufficient oil
Open the bonnet (hook just in front of passenger side door, under dash). Identify dipstick (yellow ring on top) – describe — remove dipstick and wipe clean. Replace dipstick then remove again and check oil level against the minimum/maximum markers. When car is cold, fill oil level if low.
9. Open the bonnet. Identify where you would check the engine coolant level and tell me how you would check that the engine has the correct level.
Open the bonnet (hook just in front of passenger side door under dash). Identify reservoir (right hand side of engine). Identify minimum level marker, and only when cold remove cap and top up to correct level with water if necessary.
10. Tell me how you make sure your head restraint is correctly adjusted so it provides the best protection in the event of a crash.
The head restraint should be adjusted (using button on side of rest) so the rigid part of the head restraint is at least as high as the centre of your eye and top of the ears, and as close to the back of the head as is comfortable. N.B. Some restraints might not be adjustable.
11. Open the bonnet. Identify where the brake fluid reservoir is and tell me how you would check that you have a safe level of hydraulic brake fluid.
Open the bonnet (hook just in front of passenger side door, under dash). Identify reservoir (far left hand side of engine when looking in), check level against high/low markings.
12. Tell me how you would check the tyres to ensure that they have sufficient tread depth and that their general condition is safe to use on the road.
No cuts and bulges in tyre side walls and a minimum of 1.6mm of tread depth across the central three quarters of the breadth of the tyre and around the entire outer circumference (ie. all the way around the tyre).
13. Show me how you would check that the horn is working (off road only).
(Turn on ignition if necessary). Press horn (in centre of steering wheel).
14. Show me how you would clean the windscreen using the windscreen washer and wipers.
Operate control to wash and wipe windscreen by pulling right hand control arm (between steering wheel and dashboard) fully backward. (Turn ignition on if necessary).
15. Tell me how you would check that the headlights (front of car) & tail lights (back of car) are working. (No need to exit vehicle)
Explanation: Operate switch by turning round the switch on dashboard (just below level of steering wheel, on right hand side) 2 clicks to the right (turn on ignition if necessary), then walk round vehicle. (As this is a "Tell Me" question, there is no need to physically check the lights.)
16. Show me how you would set the demister controls to clear all the windows effectively. This should include both front and rear screens.
Set all relevant controls including: fan, temperature, air direction / source and heated screen to clear windscreen and windows. Engine does not have to be started for this demonstration.
17. Show me how you would switch on the rear fog light(s) and explain when you would use it/them (No need to exit vehicle).
Operate switch. Check yellow warning light is on dash board. Explain use. Use only if visibility due to fog is less that 100 metres.
18. Tell me how you would know if there was a problem with your anti lock braking system.
Warning light should illuminate on dashboard if there is a fault with the anti lock braking system.
19. Show me how you switch your headlight from dipped to main beam and explain how you would know the main beam is on whilst inside the car.
Operate switch, with ignition or engine on if necessary (ie. push left hand indicator control forward towards dashboard), check that main beam (blue) warning light on dashboard is showing.